Find out more about the transport options we coordinate as part of our commitment to providing you with the best international freight forwarding service.
Our TransportSea Freight | Air Freight
Express Courier | Road | Rail
Sea Freight FCL (Full Container Load)
Full Container Load (FCL), as the name suggests, is where one person or company has use of a whole container for shipping. Shipping containers come in a variety of different shapes and sizes, with special features to suit different types of cargo. The most common container sizes for international shipping are 20ft and 40ft containers and common types we handle as part of our freight forwarding service include-
- General Purpose Container: Also known as a “dry container”, these are the most common type of container in the world. They are incredibly durable, watertight containers that can be used to transport anything from toilet paper to tractors.
- High Cube Container: High Cube containers are so called because they are a bit taller than a standard container, meaning you can fit more and taller items inside. Traditionally, only 40ft High Cube’s are used for shipping as 20ft High Cube’s are rare and not handled by some shipping lines.
- Open Top Container: Open Top Containers are similar to general purpose containers except they do not have a roof. Instead these containers have a removable tarp and supports which lay over the top of the container like a removable roof. This makes them easy to load from the top and can be used for cargo which is too tall to fit into a standard container.
- Flat Rack Container: Flat Racks are a type of ‘container’ with very little containment. These containers have no roof and only 2 walls at the far ends of the container. Because of their design, flat rack containers are perfect for heavy cargo or cargo that must be loaded from the top or sides such as machinery or pipes, or any cargo too large to fit into a general purpose container.
- Refrigerated Container: Refrigerated Containers otherwise known as “Reefers” are intermodal freight containers that are refrigerated for the transportation of temperature-sensitive cargo. These containers are commonly used to transport food and depending on the model can maintain temperatures within the range of -35◦C to 40◦C. Reefer containers are great for transporting cargo which needs to remain cool or even frozen.
- Tanks: A Tank Container or “tanktainer” (yes, I’m serious) is a type of container used for the transport of liquids, gases and powders. Designed with a circular body inside of a rectangular frame, these containers can easily load and unload liquids whilst still being stackable like other shipping containers.
Click Here to take a look at our Full Container Specifications; or contact us for advice, it’s all part of our commitment to providing you with the best freight forwarding service.
Sea Freight LCL (Less than Container Load)
Less than Container Load services, also known as Groupage or LCL, are international sea freight services where a container is packed with cargo from multiple people and companies. LCL is a very cost-effective method of shipping as you only pay for the volume or weight of your cargo inside the container, rather than for the whole container itself.
You pack your cargo into boxes, into crates, or onto pallets and then they are loaded into a shared container at the port of origin by a Container Freight Station.
But don’t worry! This does not mean that you need to wait weeks and weeks before enough cargo is consolidated to be shipped as part of our freight forwarding service. Most of our LCL services run at least once a week or once a fortnight all over the world, as we utilize trans-shipment ports to further consolidate sea freight cargo from multiple countries.
LCL might cost more ‘per cubic meter’ than a FCL due to the additional handling required, but it is ideal for small volumes of sea freight cargo. However, there is a break-even point where it becomes more economical to consider your own FCL sea freight shipping container, even if it might only be half full. The break-even point will differ from country to country, however it is generally around 10 to 15 cubic meters. Our experienced team will be happy to guide you on this – just ask – it’s all part of our freight forwarding service!
Break Bulk Cargo
Break Bulk vessels are used to transport very large and/or heavy cargo. Our Break Bulk freight forwarding service is great for cargo which may not be able to fit inside a container, or onto a flat rack, or where it may be impractical to do so. AussieFreight’s export operations staff have over 50 years’ experience in handling Break Bulk shipments and have worked on projects to transport electrical switch rooms, to mining equipment, to massive 465 cubic meter capacity buckets!
Bulk Carriers are a type of vessel designed to transport large amounts of cargo inside the vessels specialized storage compartments. These vessels are commonly used for goods which are placed directly into the hold of the ship, rather than into containers or into other equipment. Some items commonly shipped using Bulk services include coal, grain, cement and steel coils.
RORO (Roll On Roll Off)
RORO stands for ‘Roll-On, Roll-Off’. RORO Vessels are large ferries used to transport vehicles and other rolling machinery that can be driven or towed onto/off of the vessel. RORO is a very cost-effective alternative to Full Container Loads for moving cars, trucks and trailers internationally.
AussieFreight’s Air Freight service utilizes the vast network of International Airlines to efficiently transport goods to and from airports worldwide. The Air Freight forwarding service is a perfect option for cargo which is time critical, perishables, and for small to medium shipments where LCL services might be less practical.
- Passenger Air Freight: When you board a plane, the cargo hold doesn’t just contain the luggage of the passengers for that flight. They are commonly used for transporting cargo as well. Passenger Aircraft can be used to transport a variety of items from small boxes and bags, to crates and pallets and large loose items. Passenger Aircraft can also be used to transport special Air Containers known as ULDs: Click here for Air Containers Specifications
- Freighter Air Freight: Freighter Aircraft are designed to carry only cargo with no passengers. Freighter services are often used to carry items which may be too large or too heavy for passenger aircraft.
- Charter Air Freight: This type of freight forwarding service can be used to transport goods specific to your requirements. Charter Air Freight is particularly beneficial when you have very large items which need to be transported between 2 airports where a Freight Service may not be offered, or may not be large enough for your cargo.
As part of our freight forwarding service, AussieFreight offer several flexible express delivery options to suit both businesses and individuals. Our Express Courier services specialize in the transport of packages (typically under 25-30kg per piece) being sent door to door and can be customised to suit your requirements. Whether you need to send multiple parcels or a one-off urgent item, our express service will ensure it reaches its destination quickly and safely.
Our Express Courier service consolidates freight to send large volumes of small packages by air, keeping costs low but ensuring the fastest transit possible from pickup to delivery.
AussieFreight’s Express Courier service can be used for import into Australia, export from Australia as well as domestically between locations within Australia. Depending on the pickup and delivery addresses, our Express Courier service only takes 2-4 business days door to door.
AussieFreight’s Road Freight forwarding service includes trucks, vans, cars and motorbikes which are used to transport goods on the road. There are a large variety of vehicle options that can transport just about anything around Australia and the world. Some of our vehicle services can include equipment such as cranes or lifts to assist with loading/unloading cargo, whilst others might require equipment such as forklifts and loading docks to be available in the places of loading/unloading to perform these functions.
Click Here to take a look at our different Road Freight options for Full Containers
Click Here to look at our Road Freight options for Non-Containerised Cargo
Our Rail or Train services are a fast and cost-effective option for sending Full Containers and large items across relatively long distances, Inter and Intra State. Rail is often the freight forwarding service of choice for mining equipment, bulk cargo such as coal or oil and Full Containers where using a truck would be impractical. For example, a full 20FT Container imported into the Port of Brisbane which needs to be delivered to an address in Cairns.